Goldendoodles are a mix of two different breeds: the golden retriever and the poodle. They have long, wavy fur that can be a challenge to groom.
So what should you feed your Goldendoodle?
What Is The Best Dog Food For Goldendoodles?
What dog food is best for Goldendoodles? Check these out!
- Nutro Wholesome Essentials Small Breed Adult Dry Food (Best Overall Dog Food For Goldendoodles )
- Merrick Lil’ Plates Grain-Free Pint-Sized Puppy Recipe (Best Miniature Dog Food For Goldendoodles)
- Castor & Pollux Organix Grain-Free Organic Canned Food (Best Grain Free Dog Food For Goldendoodles )
- Taste of the Wild Ancient Prairie Roasted Bison and Roasted Venison Recipe (Best Brand Of Dog Food For Goldendoodles)
- Farmina N&D Ancestral Low-Grain Formula Dry Food (Best Weight Management Dog Food For Goldendoodles)
- Blackwood Turkey & Turkey Liver Recipe Wet Dog Food (Best Affordable Dog Food For Goldendoodles)
- Blue Buffalo Natural Senior Wet Dog Food (Best Wet Dog Food For Elderly Goldendoodles )
- American Journey Large Breed Salmon & Brown Rice Protein First Recipe (Best Goldendoodles Dog Food For Coat Health)
- Orijen Premium Quality Meat Dry Dog Food (Best Premium Dog Food For Goldendoodles)
- Wellness Core Natural Grain-Free Dry Dog Food (Best Dry Dog Food For Goldendoodles)
- Blue Buffalo Grain Free Dog Food (Best Dog Food For Goldendoodles With Allergies)
11 Best Dog Food For Goldendoodles
Here is the detailed analysis of dog food for Goldendoodles.
1. Nutro Wholesome Essentials Small Breed Adult Dry Food
The small puppy can be a handful for the owner, but he’s tough on his nutrition too. That’s why Nutro created Nutro Natural Choice Small Breed Adult Dry Dog breed Food – to help provide your pup with healthy and wholesome ingredients in an easily digestible format.
Made especially for adult dogs breed up to 18 pounds in weight and of all life stages. These crunchy kibble bits contain quality protein sources like chicken flavor that are highly-digestible and reduce plaque buildup while also providing balanced nutrients like amino acids, which they need to keep their muscles strong.
Your furry friend will thank you with improved health and satisfaction.
The Nutro Natural Choice Small Breed Adult Dry Dog Food is FDA approved, AAFCO nutrition certified, and made with natural ingredients for a healthy life.
For the little guys in your life who need some extra care when it comes to their diet – this food offers complete and balanced nutrition them!
Containing chicken meal as its primary protein source, you’re giving your pup quality calories they can feel great about.
- Healthy and natural dog food made with non-GMO ingredients
- Contains glucosamine and chondroitin to help support your small breed’s joint health
- Available in different sizes for the best fit for your puppy or adult.
- Acts as a lighter alternative if you don’t want to fill up on too many calories
2. Merrick Lil’ Plates Grain-Free Pint-Sized Puppy Recipe
What makes Merrick Lil’ Plates Grain-Free Pint-Sized Puppy Recipe different from other food for your little friend? It provides a complete diet with high levels of omega essential fatty acids found in salmon and flaxseed.
It contains glucosamine and chondroitin too to support joint health. It’s cooked in the US in the Hereford facility, which means better quality control measures, and utilizes chicken as its first ingredient, so they’re getting what you want them to have.
The small kibble size is what sets this dry dog food apart from others.
Merrick Lil’ Plates Grain-Free Pint-Sized Puppy Recipe is full of all the goodies that make Merrick Foods one of America`s most popular pet food manufacturers.
The small breed ingredients are chewy and crunchy for a satisfying meal and easily digestible with fibre to keep digestive health checked.
This puppy dry formula features real deboned chicken as the first ingredient, along with high omega fatty acids, glucosamine, chondroitin, and taurine.
- Grain-free food for smaller breeds
- Gently cooked to lock in freshness and benefits
- Contains probiotics and prebiotics to support dogs’ digestive systems
- Complete and balanced nutrition for active and healthy pups
- Cheaper than buying separate ingredients to make your meal for your small pup
- Great protein, calcium, vitamin E, zinc and omega-6 content
- No corn or wheat gluten – better for sensitive tummies
3. Castor & Pollux Organix Grain-Free Organic Canned Food
You love your pet, but you don’t always have time to make them a fresh meal.
Castor & Pollux Organix Grain-Free Organic Canned Food is the perfect food for your pet. It’s made with organic free-range chicken as the first ingredient to support healthy muscles and packed with wholesome veggies and cranberries to keep a healthy heart.
It contains omega-3 and 6 fatty acids to nourish skin and fur, without any grains or corn.
Castor & Pollux Organix Grain-Free Organic Canned Food is the perfect solution for busy pet parents. It contains essential vitamins, minerals and taurine to support healthy eyes and a healthy heart.
It contains omega-3 and 6 fatty acids to nourish skin and fur, with zero grains, corn or soy.
- All life-time canned food for all stages.
- 9% crude protein that supports both adult and senior pets.
- 5% fat for healthy weight maintenance.
- Complete nutrition, boosted with vitamin b3 supplements and biotin.
- Grain-free food for smaller breeds.
- Gently cooked to lock in freshness and benefits.
- Contains probiotics and prebiotics to support dogs’ digestive systems.
4. Taste of the Wild Ancient Prairie Roasted Bison and Roasted Venison Recipe
Dogs need a diet that is rich in nutrients to keep them healthy and happy.
Most commercial dog foods are full of fillers like corn, wheat and soybean meal. These ingredients can cause allergies, digestive issues or other health problems for your pet.
Taste of the Wild Ancient Prairie Roasted Bison & Roasted Venison Recipe provides your dog with all the nutrition it needs to be strong and healthy without artificial flavors or preservatives.
It contains no added sugar, which means fewer calories for your pet!
Taste of the Wild dog foods uses more expensive ingredients like roasted bison meat as their first ingredient, which means your dog gets better nutrition from a product that costs less than other brands.
And by using intelligent ingredients, this recipe offers lower prices without sacrificing quality or taste.
Giving your high-quality dog food at an affordable price has never been easier! This recipe is crafted to meet the nutritional requirements established by AAFCO and FDA guidelines for adult dogs (1-6 years old).
- Contains essential vitamins and minerals.
- Made with high protein bison & venison.
- Satisfies both your taste buds and your pup’s health needs.
- Gives your pup the nutrition they deserve.
5. Farmina N&D Ancestral Low-Grain Formula Dry Food
Farmina N&D Ancestral Low-Grain Formula is a limited carbohydrate diet for adult or senior pets.
The formula contains non-fillers like deboned chicken, vitamins and minerals, and all life stage pet food. This formula helps maintain healthy blood sugar levels with carbohydrates, 30% protein, with 18% fat, so your pup will have a shiny coat without getting too many calories from natural sources!
The whole peas, legumes are eliminated as well in this formula.
This recipe is high protein, limited carbohydrate, and low fiber; all life stage food is deboned chicken.
Fresh food vitamins retain their freshness through a coating system that allows them to be included post-cooking.
It’s a low glycemic formula, so it’s an excellent option for pets with needs that require diets that won’t spike blood sugar.
Ingredients like salmon oil provide Omega 3 fatty acids suitable for the skin and coat and promote healthy brain functioning.
- Made with organic ingredients for a pure, tasty meal
- Balanced and protein-packed formula to support your dog’s active lifestyle
- Supplies omega 3 fatty acids and 6 to promote a beautiful coat
- Affordable on any budget
- A low glycemic index to be gentle on stomachs
6. Blackwood Turkey & Turkey Liver Recipe Wet Dog Food
Blackwood Turkey meal & Turkey Liver Recipe Wet Dog Food is not only a protein-packed meal for your dog, but its slow-cooking process uses ingredients to provide essential antioxidants, vitamins and minerals.
This food is available canned with less sodium than many other high-quality brands of wet pet foods. Blackwood Turkey & Turkey Liver Recipe Wet Dog Food is a grain-free dog food with pumpkin. This protein-packed meal is slow-cooked and contains NO artificial ingredients, flavors or colors.
Blackwood weighs 9.75 pounds and is preciously created to give the ultimate flavor!
Start by adding this food to your dog’s daily diet; replace up to 25% of their regular diet over the next 5 days until they are on an exclusively Blackwood food plan. You can expect a gradual improvement in energy levels and activity levels.
- Grain-free dog food
- Slow-cooked Turkey and turkey liver
- Essential antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals
- Protein-rich meal especially for small dogs
- It is devoid of any artificial flavors or colors
- Contains pumpkin to help promote digestion.
- Great dog food for all breeds/sizes
7. Blue Buffalo Natural Senior Wet Dog Food
All of the BLUE products are made with high-quality, natural ingredients that empower your pet to lead a healthy life.
The Healthy Weight Formula is specifically designed for dogs to maintain weight despite age or lifestyle issues while improving quality of life with chondroitin and glucosamine.
Antioxidants in this formula improve immunity and cell protection; omega-6 fatty acids for heart health; EPA & DHA, which have been proven to support visual acuity and brain development and joint health through naturally occurring cartilage in fish oil – plus much more.
This recipe is even better than the blue buffalo wilderness chicken recipe grain-free.
Blue Buffalo Senior Chicken Complete Natural wet food is made with real chicken to help support a healthy musculature and contains glucosamine and chondroitin for healthier joints.
It contains no by-product meals, corn, wheat, soy or artificial flavors.
This All Life Stages formula features high-quality protein sources and amino acids (the building blocks of protein) and added natural vitamins that are easily digested.
Dogs love the tasteÂ—or seal the can end up in seconds!
- Very high protein levels- 7.5%
- Nutrient-dense with omega fatty acids and antioxidants- folic acid, biotin, niacin supplements
- Rich in vitamins for better digestion -niacin
- Great ingredients like natural beef, which is essential for senior dogs
- Healthy joint care
- Fights the progression of kidney disease
- Supports a healthier skin and coat
- Good for digestion
8. American Journey Large Breed Salmon & Brown Rice Protein First Recipe
Dogs can be picky eaters, and when you’re trying to keep them healthy, it can be hard to figure out what foods they like.
My dog has been on many different brands of dog food, but I always had trouble getting him to eat the food that was best for him. He would even sometimes vomit up his old brand of food and then refuse to eat anything at all!
American Journey Large Breed Salmon & Brown Rice Protein First Recipe is my dog’s favorite brand now. It has 25% high-quality protein from real salmon as the first ingredient, so he gets everything he needs in one bowl instead of having to mix two or three different kinds just to get enough protein!
And this formula is made with deboned salmon and fish meal. My dog loves the taste too – and so do I! This dry kibble also contains Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids.
Plus, this recipe has essential vitamins & minerals like calcium, zinc, phosphorous and 0.08 per cent taurine.
American Journey Large Breed Salmon & Brown Rice Protein First Recipe has all the nutrition dogs need while still being easy on their tummies so they can enjoy every meal!
It’s also formulated without any poultry by-product meals or artificial colors or flavors, making it ideal for pups with sensitive stomachs too!
- For all Breed sizes
- Healthy, natural ingredients
- Made in America
- Complete and balanced nutrition for adult dogs
- Low in fat, high protein formulation
- High-quality ingredients that taste great
9. Orijen Premium Quality Meat Dry Dog Food
You’re tired of giving your dog food that doesn’t meet his nutritional needs.
Imagine feeding your dog a premium quality meat dry dog food that’s made with only the finest ingredients and delivers everything he needs to thrive.
Orijen is an all-natural, grain-free diet for dogs containing 85% meat ingredients. It contains no wheat or soy, or corn and has been formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for All Life Stages. It is available for Small Breed, Medium breed and Large Breed.
Feeding your dog has never been easier! With Orijen Premium Quality Meat Dry Dog Food, there are no more worries about what goes into his body because this premium dry dog food gives him everything he needs for a healthy life at an affordable price!
- Provides high-quality protein for dogs’ muscles
- Lowers risk of secondary health issues with a balanced diet
- Comes in three different sizes to fit any dog- suitable small, medium, and large breeds
- Our new formula utilizes a balance of omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids to promote healthy skin and coat
- No by-products or grains will be found in any Orijen flavors, giving your pup the leanness he deserves
10. Wellness Core Natural Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
Healthy dogs start with a healthy diet! WOW, Wellness CORE is made of the highest-quality proteins plus fruits and vegetables designed for optimal animal protein nutrition.
Wellness Premium Natural balance Dog Food is a dry dog food that would suit any pup’s needs thanks to its popular ingredients and no added grain.
This recipe has been formulated with an exclusive protein blend and contains far-ranging antioxidants, glucosamine, taurine, probiotics, vitamins and minerals for a healthy coat – no matter the color!
This formula is yet another good choice for the natural control of odors or shedding.
The natural ingredients blend in an ideal balance to produce premium dry food that gives your pet what they need and nothing artificial.
Whether it’s work taking your furry friend on his daily walk or lounging in front of the TV – they’re always there with you through thick and thin.
It is gluten-free too.
- Gives your dog a natural diet
- Comes in easy-to-open packaging
- Contains vital nutrients for optimum health
- Helps promote joint and bone strength
- Healthy for your dog this grain-free dry dog food is nutrient-dense and easily digestible
- Effective as a digestive aid, the probiotics in the dry food help with digestion and promotes overall health
- Provides high-quality protein content that is easy to assimilate and support lean muscle mass
- Offers antioxidant protection from free radicals with vitamin E
11. Blue Buffalo Grain Free Dog Food
Blue Buffalo Grain Free Dog Food is a blend of high-quality protein and nutrient-dense ingredients crafted with LifeSource Bits. It has a balanced mix of antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins-it’s a great way to make healthy living feel even more luxurious for your pup.
This grain-free dog food is made with hearty proteins made into a delicious mix of flavors.
Plus, Blue Buffalo uses high-quality protein sources to provide your pup everything he needs to grow big and strong — without any wheat, corn or soy.
A well-nourished pup has a healthy immune system, strong bones and teeth, healthy skin and coat that can fight off some of the outdoorsy elements while building solid muscles.
It is created as the most complete and natural dog food for the adult life stage.
- Nourishes your dog with high-quality protein
- Grain-free and gluten-free
- It helps promote healthy muscle development
- Help reduce potential food allergies
- Provides a better environment for digestive health and healthy skin/coat
- 100% Natural & Nutritious Ingredients with LifeSource Bits
Buying Guide To Buying Dog Food For Goldendoodles
Your Dog’s Nutritional Needs
Most dog owners find it puzzling to choose the right food for their dogs. The kind of food that will maintain Goldendoodles’ health and taste good is not hard to find. Most dog food brands pay close attention to what dogs like and what is good for them.
Goldendoodles are like any other dog, and they do not require a special diet to stay healthy. People often confuse dogs as carnivores and believe dogs should eat proteins how cats and tigers do.
This is only half the truth because dogs are like humans when it comes to eating. Dogs, like us, are omnivorous. In other words, dogs can eat everything just as they can eat meat protein. They don’t need to rip apart prey to fill their stomach.
Goldendoodles need everything real. The food product you choose for them should contain every ingredient made from real food. The pack should include high amounts of proteins, and limited fats with minimal carbs.
Protein is the nutrient that you can feed your Goldendoodle of any age. It helps with growth and development for young ones, while for adult Goldendoodles, proteins aid in building their muscle mass.
As far as fats are concerned, a limited amount will help with a constant energy source and the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins. However, Goldendoodles need minimal carbs only to get fibers to keep their digestive tract moving.
Choosing The Right Puppy Food For Your Goldendoodle
Choosing food for a Goldendoodle puppy food is not technical at all. You just make sure they are taking a balanced diet with fair amounts of every nutrient they need as they grow up.
When looking for a food brand that produces food for puppies, you will realize all of them have the correct nutrients and amounts that your poodle needs during puppyhood.
However, you should be careful with what your dog’s food has. You need to look out for artificial flavors and every filler like wheat, soy, corn, or white potatoes. Any cheap fillers like these will not do any good to your poodle.
Like I mentioned before, everything your Goldendoodle puppy eats needs to be made from natural foods—nothing cheap, nothing artificial.
Puppies That Are Picky Eaters
When Goldendoodle puppies refuse to eat their meals, they can leave you scratching your head as to what on earth they would eat when they keep refusing everything you put in front of them. It is a bit of a nuisance and can result in wasting a lot of money, too.
You would buy expensive puppy food bags for your pup, only for it to go to waste because your dog won’t even touch it.
You can buy smaller portions of food till you find out the flavors your pup likes the best. Your furry friend may put down a lot of flavors before they decide to eat one.
To help you decide what flavors to go first, fish or chicken are the better choices. These flavors are popular amongst many Goldendoodles. Other flavors may also include bison, lamb, or venison.
You don’t have to worry when it comes to choosing an excellent product to suffice for your Goldendoodle’s nutritional requirements.
Most brands offer excellent and balanced ratios of every vital nutrient that targets each age group.
On the other hand, if you know your dog has a health issue, you know what is best for your dog. You may even speak about your poodle’s nutritional requirements with your vet so you can decide on the diet of your Goldendoodle.
Choosing A Flavor Of Puppy Food
If you are parents to new Goldendoodle puppies, you are probably struggling to find out what flavors your Goldendoodle would like the best.
What you can buy small bags of the most popular flavors amongst Goldendoodle puppies to find out what your pup will go for.
Put some dog food in multiple bowls and place it in front of them. You should notice what food gets the most attention from your pup. Later, you must observe for an upset stomach before finalizing your pick.
Some brands may provoke diarrhea even if your dog likes the flavor. For this reason, you need to be patient and repeat the experiment a couple of times, then make your purchase.
Goldendoodle Health Issues
Since Goldendoodles are a crossbreed between Golden Retrievers and Poodles, they have equal chances of inheriting diseases from both breeds. Goldendoodles can have hip dyslexia, cataracts, patellar luxation, hypoadrenocorticism, and cancers.
Your Goldendoodles need good care if they have any health issues, and you need to stick to the treatment plan your dog’s vet suggests for you. Also, your dog’s diet will change accordingly.
Goldendoodle Food Calculator
There is no correct method to calculate the number of nutrients that go into your dog’s system. Though what you can do is to feed them food according to their weight.
You need to weigh your dog or visit a vet to check their weight and then feed them accordingly. Most dog food bags have nutrients breakdown mentioned on the back, and that is how you can make a rough guess of overall calorie intake for your dog.
Best Food For Goldendoodle
Honestly speaking, the best quality dog food for Goldendoodle puppies is the one you think is best for them. Other dog owners can only suggest the product, but you need to pick the best product at the end of the day.
I say this because every dog is different with different nutritional needs. Do not let anyone lure you into thinking that some product is the best in the market because even though there are excellent brands out there, it does not mean every brand works for every dog.
The Association of American Feed Control representatives says that an average sized-dog needs 18% proteins and 5% fats while puppies need 22% proteins and 8% to stay healthy.
But what about dogs who already obese? Or female dogs that are lactating? Their nutritional needs are entirely different because your dogs’ health determines whether your dog should take more or fewer proteins or fats.
In short, always calculate the ratio of ingredients in a dog food bag before purchasing it.
Goldendoodle Dog Food – Wet Or Dry?
The best food for your Goldendoodle is dry food. Some Goldendoodles may be an exception because they like a mix of wet food and dry food.
It is because dry food helps to maintain oral health as the kibble facilitates cleaning off the bacteria and the plaque that may adhere to your dog’s teeth.
Moreover, dry food also protects your dog’s teeth against gingivitis or canine periodontal disease commonly found in Goldendoodles.
Likewise, dry food has the right amount of all the nutrients your Goldendoodle needs. Dry food is also best for Goldendoodle puppies and young dogs.
On the other hand, wet food best serves senior Goldendoodles who may have a couple of missing teeth.
Goldendoodle Diet – Grains Or Grain-free?
My re this question depends on the health of your pooch. Plus, if your Goldendoodle is allergic to some ingredients like dairy products, soy, wheat, corn, then you might want to avoid these food allergens.
Either way, you can choose grain-free food for sensitive dogs, as well as for dogs that can digest everything.
Does Breed Affect Nutritional Requirements?
The type of breed of a dog does not matter. Every dog needs almost the same nutritional support and what counts more is the number of calories a dog intakes. The food your Goldendoodle eats should provide them with enough energy to stay mentally and physically fit.
The best dog foods for Goldendoodles are ones that provide sufficient nutrients according to their age. It means every brand targets an age cohort, and the energy content changes as the age group changes.
Generally, Goldendoodles need 30 calories per kilo weight. A young Goldendoodle would need more energy because not only are they growing each day, they are also active and very playful that again consumes their energy.
Conversely, adult or senior Goldendoodles would not need higher calorie amounts, and their intake depends on how active they are. More so, you can calculate the calorie intake for your
Goldendoodle using a calorie calculator.
Goldendoodles are cute little furry crossbreeds, and they are one of the most fun-loving, exuberant breeds of dogs. As an owner of a Goldendoodle, you need to look after their needs and feed them the best dog food to ensure they stay healthy for a long time.
Goldendoodles’ life expectancy is around 10 to 15 years. This means you can share 15 cheerful years of memories and excitement with them only when they are well cared for.
12 Best Dog Food For Boston Terriers In 2022
13 Best Dog Food For Dalmatians In 2022