Great Danes are one of the giant dog breeds in the world. They require a specialized diet to maintain their body weight and health.
If your Great Dane doesn’t like the taste or smell of some brands, try mixing it up by buying different flavors from different companies.
What Is The Best Food For Great Danes?
Below are the best brands of dog food for Great Danes!
- Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Large Breed (Best Overall Dog Food For Great Danes)
- Holistic Select Large & Giant Breed Natural Dry Food (Best Dog Food For Great Danes With Sensitive Stomach)
- Gentle Giants Canine Nutrition Chicken Dry Food (Best Dry Dog Food For Great Danes/Best Giant Dog Food For Great Danes)
- AvoDerm Natural Chicken & Rice Formula Canned Food (Best Wet Dog Food For Great Danes/Best Canned Dog Food For Great Danes)
- Purina Pro Plan Focus Giant Breed Dog Food (Best Dog Food For Great Danes & Mastiff)
- Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Large Breed Dog Food (Best Dog Food For Great Danes With Allergies)
- Wellness Complete Health Large Breed Dog Food (Best Premium Dry Dog Food For Great Danes)
- Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream Grain-Free Canned Food (Best Dog Food For Great Danes With Fish Meal)
- Royal Canin Great Dane Adult Dog Food (Best Breed-Specific Great Dane Food/Best Dog Food For Adult Great Danes)
- Nutro Ultra Grain-Free Senior Pate Wet Food (Best Dog Food For Older Great Danes/senior/old/Best Low Residue Dog Food For Old Great Danes/What Is The Best Dog Food For Great Danes That Is Not Grain Free/best Grain Free Dog Food/Best Dog Food Senior Great Danes)
- Orijen Puppy Large Dry Food Recipe Large Breed Puppy Food (Best Dog Food For Great Danes Puppies/ Best Dog Food For Growing Great Danes/ Best Dog Food For Weaning Great Danes)
11 Best Dog Food Brand For Great Danes
Read below for more details.
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Large Breed Dry Dog Food
The Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula for dogs combines a blend of nutrient-rich ingredients list with raw, whole grains and real meat to give your pup the best support. It also offers you peace of mind thanks to the high standards we set, including third-party testing results.
Feed fewer cans of Blue Formula versus feeding more dog food of any other brand to reduce waste and save more! This one is even better than eukanuba large breed dog food.
Blue Buffalo Large Breed Adult Chicken & Brown Rice Formula is made with protein-rich deboned chicken and contains glucosamine and chondroitin to help support your dog’s joint health.
With Omega 3s and 6s, L-Carnitine for lean muscle development, plus richly nutritious whole grains like brown rice, this formula will help keep your large breed healthy and in good shape.
- An all-natural dog food
- Does not contain corn, wheat, or soy – these are common allergens in dogs
- Contains Omega 3 and 6 essential fatty acids for healthy skin/coat
- Antioxidants that improve your puppy’s health.
- L-Carnitine for lean muscle development
- Protein and powerful nutrients to help maximize your dog’s potential
- Glucosamine and chondroitin for joint health
Holistic Select Large & Giant Breed Natural Dry Food
The Holistic Select Large & Giant Breed Natural Dry Food is a high-quality, natural food for large and giant breed dogs.
This dog food has been developed with your dog’s health in mind. It contains the nutrients that are necessary to keep your pet healthy and happy. I know how important it is to have a healthy diet for your pup to live their best life!
This dry dog food formulas are made of quality ingredients like protein, prebiotics, probiotics, live yogurt cultures, digestive enzymes, and natural fiber. These ingredients will help maintain digestion as well as bone strength and joint health.
Your pup will be getting all the nutrition they need from our delicious dry kibble!
And don’t worry about them not getting enough water because I have got you covered there, too. This formula includes omega fatty acids, which promote hydration while also providing antioxidants to help fight off free radicals that cause aging or illness!
It is one of the best dog foods for great danes 1.
Plus, glucosamine and chondroitin provide support for hip joints and bones! This food has everything you need for an active lifestyle with your furry friend by your side!
- Free dry dog food provides complete, balanced nutrition for healthy personality growth.
- Contains prebiotics for digestion and natural fiber to keep your dog feeling full and satisfied
- Supports hip and joint health with glucosamine, chondroitin, phosphorus and omega fatty acids
- Enhances whole body health with probiotics, antioxidants, calcium phosphate.
Gentle Giants Canine Nutrition Chicken Dry Food
Are you looking for a portion of new food for your dog?
Gentle Giants Canine Nutrition is a great choice. It offers complete and balanced nutrition with all the vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and antioxidants that dogs need to thrive. This formula is made with fruits and vegetables that are not genetically modified. Plus, added prebiotics and probiotics increase digestion and help with the absorption of food.
Only natural ingredients are sourced from farms around the world to make products as nutritious as possible. Plus. It tastes great, too, so you can feel good about giving your pup this meal every day.
You want to give your dog something they’ll love without worrying about their health or safety! With this natural formula, you have got everything covered. Give it a try today!
- Veterinarian recommended
- Balanced and nutritious meal
- Farm-raised chicken, brown rice, pearled barley & 8 healthy fruits and vegetables
- Crafted with eight nutritious fruits and veggies
- Non-GMO, natural ingredients
AvoDerm Natural Chicken & Rice Formula Canned Food
You love your dog, and you want to find the best food for him or her. But is there such a thing as “the best”?
The problem with most commercial pet foods is that they are made from cheap ingredients like cornmeal and soybeans.
AvoDerm Natural Chicken & Rice Formula Canned Food uses real chicken as its first ingredient, making it an excellent source of protein for your dog. It also contains omega-rich avocados, which helps keep his coat healthy and shiny. Plus, this canned food can be served warm or cold, so it’s perfect for any occasion!
It uses real chicken as our number one ingredient because it’s a premium source of protein that dogs love. The formula also includes avocado oil to support healthy skin and coat, plus vitamins D3 and E for immune system health. All this makes AvoDerm Natural Chicken & Rice Formula Canned Food a great choice if you want an all-natural food option for your pet.
AvoDerm Natural Chicken & Rice Formula Canned Food with only the best natural ingredients for your pet.
- Contains no wheat, corn, soy, or artificial flavors or preservatives
- Packed with protein from eggs and chicken
- Filled with omega-rich avocados to help maintain healthy skin & coat
- Gives your pup the nutrients needed for their development
- Enhances immune system
- Fun for you AND your pup
- Natural ingredients
- No artificial flavors or preservatives
- Proudly made in the U.S.A.
Purina Pro Plan Focus Giant Breed Dog Food
Welcome to the world of dog champions. With Pro Plan Focus, you’re a member of the winning team every step of the way with science-backed nutrients and a formula that’s been fed to more than 1 million satisfied dogs for over 50 years.
Soak up all that success with an absorbent kibble packed in tasty chicken flavor. Not only does it keep your pup fit and mobile, but research shows Purina Pro Plan also awards strong cognitive skills, which means big thinking between those poodle’s ears!
This formula is developed especially for the unique needs of giant breeds.
Dogs require protein to maintain lean body mass, so Purina’s one-of-a-kind recipe contains just the right amount to help keep their bodies strong and healthy. So if you enjoy plenty of walks with your pup, this furry friend’s food will give them all they need to stay on track!
A unique glucosamine complex supports joint health in large breeds, too. Plus, vitamin E helps ensure a shiny coat – from head to tail!
- Made for the needs of large breeds
- Supports joint health in large breeds
- Promotes a healthy digestive system
- Includes omega-6 fatty acids to support skin and coat.
- Keeps body lean and strong
- Naturally provides antioxidant protection
Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Large Breed Dog Food
Adding protein to your big B.F.F.’s diet is essential, but you don’t want too much of one protein, or it may cause a digestive imbalance.
The first five ingredients in this limited-ingredient recipe are all high-quality proteins: lamb meal, brown rice, bran rice, brewer rice, and dried tomatoes. Your pup will get essential amino acids from muscle meat as well as additional nutrients from canola oil.
Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diets Dry Dog Food has been designed to be grain-free yet gluten-free for those with an allergy or intolerance and can meet up with a dog’s nutritional needs for the older stage of their life.
It is not uncommon that older large breed dogs suffer joint inflammation and pain due to natural aging. Arthritis develops when the joints become worn, weak, lose cartilage and other nutrients necessary for healthy joints.
The formula aims to maintain muscle mass over time, meaning your dog got plenty of time before they start losing their youthful sass.
- If your pup has allergies or sensitivities, you can feed him this food without worrying about triggering symptoms.
- This large breed formula contains protein from lamb, which is great for strong teeth and healthy joints while also helping with weight control.
- Unlike other dog foods that contain only one meat ingredient (chicken meal /duck), this food includes wholesome grains to help keep your pup feeling full and satisfied—plus all the essential vitamins and minerals he needs!
Wellness Complete Health Large Breed Dog Food
What is the best premium dog food for great danes? Keep your buddy healthy and happy with our specially formulated dry dog food, complete with whole-body nutritional support. It’s crafted using carefully chosen ingredients that include omega-3 & 6 fatty acids, antioxidants, glucosamine, probiotics, and taurine for a happier pup.
With the help of our tasting panel of furry friends, this brand can make ‘just right’ granules – not too hard or crunchy – giving you both easy feeding with no mess. It also made sure it tastes good because, hey, who knows what goes on in that nose?!
Healthy? The Wellness Complete Health Formula for Dogs large breed is the perfect answer to all of your pet’s needs.
This balanced, healthy dry dog food is designed to support an immune system that fights free radicals, optimizes energy levels, and ensures a lustrous skin and coat while promoting whole-body wellness.
- Helps your dog maintain a healthy and happy life
- Meets the needs of large breed dogs with unique nutritional requirements
- Gives you peace of mind when it comes to feeding them
- Provides whole-body nutritional support with omega fatty acids, antioxidants, and probiotics
- Engineered for large breeds of dogs
- Doesn’t contain meat by-products, fillers, or artificial preservatives
Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream Grain-Free Canned Food
Your dog is a carnivore and needs meat protein to thrive. But most commercial pet foods are full of grains, fillers, and artificial preservatives that can cause allergies, digestive problems, weight gain, and even serious illness over time.
Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream Grain-Free Dry Dog Food contains real smoked salmon for your furry friend’s taste buds while also delivering natural antioxidants from sweet potatoes and peas. It’s formulated with high quality ingredients including deboned pork meal as its main source of animal protein instead of less digestible poultry byproducts or soybean meal. And it has no added sugar so you can feel good about spoiling him every once in awhile!
Natural food sources like salmon are better for your dog than processed ones like chicken byproducts found in many other brands’ recipes. Protein from whole meats helps keep his skin healthy because it reduces shedding and dandruff while providing essential fatty acids to improve coat shine without causing flaking.
- The amazing dog food that will nourish and keep your furry friend healthy.
- Grain-free formula is perfect for active dogs with high digestibility.
- Made in the USA.
- Made without by-products, corn, wheat or soy.
Royal Canin Great Dane Adult Dog Food
Are you looking for new dog food?
Royal Canin has been making quality pet foods for many years. It is now one of the world’s leading brands, and it’s easy to see why. With over a decade of experience in nutrition research, they know what your pup needs to stay healthy and happy. And with their Great Dane Adult Dry Dog Food, they’ve made sure that every ingredient was carefully selected just for him!
This tailored diet will help your four-legged family member thrive by giving them everything he needs to live a long and healthy life. The exclusive kibble is designed just for Great Danes, so he can pick up his food without any trouble while also encouraging thorough chewing without overloading his stomach.
Plus, this formula contains all-natural ingredients like fresh vegetables and fruits, which are perfect for dogs with sensitive stomachs or allergies!
- Supports healthy digestive health
- Keeps digestion sensitivities at bay
- Promotes healthy bones/joint tone
- 100% of the nutrition that Great Danes need to thrive
- Supports energy needs with L.I.P., highly digestible liver-enriched inhibitory protein
- Promotes digestive health and prevents digestion sensitivities in Danes
- Supplies bones, joints with all they need
Nutro Ultra Grain-Free Senior Pate Wet Food
Your dog may be getting older, but that doesn’t mean they have to miss out on the things they love.
With Nutro Ultra Senior Grain-Free Soft Wet Food, your dog will get a taste of real chicken in every bite. Plus, this tasty paté is finished with lamb and whitefish for added protein. And because it’s grain-free, there are no artificial colors or flavors, so you can feel good about giving it to your senior pet. This is a grain free dry dog food contains natural dry dog food ingredients.
If you’re looking for a high-quality wet food option for your aging pup, then look no further than Nutro Ultra Senior Grain-Free Soft Wet Food! This delicious pate is made with real chicken as the #1 food ingredients and features lamb and whitefish for added protein.
Plus, all ingredients are 100% sourced from North American farms – not China!
- Made with high quality, natural ingredients
- Non-GMO and free of chicken by-product meal, corn, wheat, soy, or artificial additives
- Available in a trio pack
- Delightful-tasting, grain-free wet food made from high-quality ingredients
- Gluten and wheat free with no artificial additives or preservatives
- Delicious as a wet food on its own or as an addition to dry foods
- Made in the U.S.A.
Orijen Puppy Large Dry Food Recipe
Your puppy is growing up fast and needs a diet that will support his growth. You’ve tried feeding him dry puppy food before, but it never worked for you! This one will suit your great dane puppy.
Imagine giving your puppy the nutrition he needs to grow into a strong adult great dane dog. This puppy formula named ORIJEN Puppy Large Dry Food has 85% quality animal protein and fat ingredients and is rich in fresh whole foods from free-run chicken and turkey, wild-caught fish, cage-free eggs with no added hormones or antibiotics. In fact, if your family pet needs adequate protein source then this is the right choice for them.
Feeding your puppy ORIJEN Puppy Large Dry Food will help him develop into a healthy adult dog with excellent muscle tone, shiny coat, bright eyes, and good energy levels. Feed your great dane puppies these puppy food and they will never have an upset stomach.
If you are among responsible dog owners, then you should give these puppy foods a try!
- 85% nutritious animal ingredients including fresh meats, organs, cartilage, and bone
- Raw and fresh, high-quality protein sources for dogs from free-range chicken fat, turkey, and wild-caught fish
- Grain-free with NO Poultry By-Product Meal or Corn
- Can provide a more natural diet that is appropriate for your dog
- Provides all the nutrients and benefits of raw food without the hassle
- Meat-rich, the grain-free recipe provides essential protein and Omegas 3&6 to promote healthy development in growing puppies.
- Recipes are meat-rich with no grains – this makes it easy on their digestive system
- Recipe is made from fresh whole foods making it healthier than dry kibble
Buying Guide To Buying Dog Food For Great Danes
What You Should Know About Canine Nutrition
Every breed of dog, including Great Danes, requires the same diet. There are no significant changes in different breeds, as every diet revolves around the same essential elements.
Your furry friend needs a complete diet as much as you do. Every nutrient helps them in the same way it helps humans. They need protein content, fats, vitamins, and carbohydrate sources to grow into healthy adult dogs.
Every nutrient mentioned above has its benefits, and it is not wise to strike them out of your pet’s diet unless necessary. For this reason, you must look for pet food that offers a balanced diet.
Ideally, every food contains healthy amounts of every nutrient. Still, it would be best if you also compared the given ratios to the recommended calorie intake suggested by the American Association of Feed Control Officials (AFFCO).
Nonetheless, keep in mind that the dietary requirements change with age. Even though it is the same nutrients, the amounts vary significantly. For instance, a pup would need more proteins and fats while seniors Great Danes will need comparatively fewer proteins and fats.
Feeding Requirements For Large And Giant Breeds
Giant breeds are regarded as dogs that grow up to 45 kgs as an adult. Some dog breeds are naturally giant, and we have a great example, Great Dane. You know what that means. The bigger the size, the bigger the portion size.
However, the fact is that the diet of a pet dog depends on their physical activity. Otherwise, most dogs will eat more or less identical portions.
Great Dane pups require large amounts of nutrients because they grow up fast. At this age, they need loads of proteins and fats to help with the healthy growth of their bone and muscles.
But you do need to regulate the number of times they eat and how much they eat. They need to grow at their pace and not faster than that.
You would not want your dog to become obese. Obesity is another disease. They need to have everything in appropriate amounts, so feeding them more to multiply is not advisable.
Choosing The Right Food for Your Great Dane
Let me tell you a fun fact: there is no ‘right’ food for your dog. You will have to find out what your Great Dane likes the best and what suits their bone health, as well.
Apart from the fact that the kind of food your poodle eats depends on what they prefer, you also need to analyze what the dog food brands are selling and not trust them blindly. You need to make better judgments about what your dog should eat.
As mentioned above, you have to monitor your dog’s calorie intake and make sure they don’t go beyond as dogs tend to eat everything they see, it is you need to cut the excess calories.
Similarly, you need to ensure they are taking all the nutrients in the right amounts.
Great Danes And Common Health Concerns
Great Danes have an average lifespan of 8-10 years. Some even live up to 12 years only if they are well taken care of. You need to know the common health problems that persist in giant Danes to prevent serious consequences.
Having a big heart is only good when speaking metaphorically. When it comes to having a big heart, it is a dreadful disease. Unfortunately, for giant breeds like Great Danes, cardiomyopathy is a common problem.
It is where the heart becomes large and fails to pump blood efficiently. It is usually the left chamber that enlarges and can lead to heart failure.
Bones And Joint Disease
Giant breeds have giant bones that often cause health problems. Great Danes can suffer from bones and joint diseases like hip dysplasia and osteoarthritis.
Hip dysplasia occurs when the hip joint dislocates from its socket because the socket develops poorly.
Osteoarthritis is a type of arthritis. The cartilage over the bones wears down and prevents the joints from moving smoothly.
You can prevent your poodle from developing such diseases if you feed them supplements such as glucosamine and chondroitin regularly,
Great Danes are prone to develop bloat. It can turn into a fatal disease if it is not addressed on time. The gut of the dog bloats and twists around itself, which completely cuts off the blood supply. This is an emergency condition, and your dog will need immediate medical attention.
The thyroid is a gland found in the neck. It aids in proper development in dogs.
Great Danes can develop autoimmune thyroid problems where the body produces antibodies against the thyroid gland. The condition can be diagnosed quickly and is treatable.
Osteosarcoma is bone cancer, and it is very aggressive. If it is not diagnosed on time, it may become lethal in a matter of months.
Understanding Portion Size
Portion size is the amount of food you feed your Great Dane. It is up to you to fix them a portion size and understand how much their portion size should be, so you need to know how much is too much.
The portion size depends on the age of your dog. Your smaller pup will need a more considerable portion, and your senior Great Dane will require an average-sized portion. But it would help if you did a little math here because you have to calculate what a good or a small portion is.
Every dog has their requirement for calorie intake, and every pet food bag comes with a label that shows how many calories each serving has. First, know how many calories your Great Dane needs to take and fix them a portion size accordingly.
Can My Great Dane Have A Sensitive Stomach?
Great Danes, in general, have a sensitive stomach and often suffer from an upset stomach that causes frequent diarrhea. Since they are more susceptible to having diarrhea, you must understand what adds to their suffering in the first place.
Diet, or changes in diet, for instance, cause significant problems. Great Danes have sensitive stomachs and feeding them poor-quality food can easily make them sick. Also, make sure your dog has no stress factor that can aggravate stomach problems.
Is Regular Flatulence Common For Great Danes?
Just like humans, an upset stomach will always cause gas. Young Great Danes tend to devour everything way too quickly than they should, which eventually leads to gas formation and frequent flatulence. However, it is unlikely to occur in adult Great Danes.
Plus, diet also dramatically contributes to flatulence. A poor diet that includes protein meals or grains can produce gas.
You can consider changing their diet to a more natural diet that contains whole proteins with no fillers or artificial ingredients.
How Many Exercises Do Great Danes Need?
Great Danes do not fuss around a lot. They like being in their spot, and they are usually quiet, doing their own thing when they are indoors. However, Great Danes do need to exercise regularly, but the amount of exercise depends on your dog’s activity level, too.
If your dog stays indoors for most of the day, you must take them out for a walk for at least one hour to 90 minutes every day. You can take them out to dog-friendly parks or maybe just a walk around a couple of blocks.
But they do need their daily dose of exercise to keep them mentally and physically healthy. Also, you will have to jog with your dog because walking with them would do a little good. Great Danes are giant breeds, and that means they take more extensive steps that may not sync well with you if you are walking.
Great Danes are friendly and sweet dogs. They love living with people, and they love being adored even more. They are a giant yet innocent species, and they deserve to live the longest and their best life, and only you can make it possible.
Help your gigantic friend to live a quality life, and they will make your life joyous, too.
13 Best Dog Food For Dalmatians In 2022
12 Best Dog Food For German Shorthaired Pointers In 2022