Like all dogs, dachshunds love having their own space to seek refuge when tired, anxious, or ready to relax.
As such, you should select an appropriate dog house for your furry friend to ensure he or she has a comfortable “den.”
There are three primary factors to consider when choosing a dog house for a dachshund, including size, comfort, and cost.
The best dog house for a dachshund is the DREAMSOULE Wooden Pet House.
This dog house suits dachshunds up to 15-inches tall and 20-inches long, weighing up to 14 pounds.
It’s stylish, comfortable, and includes a small cushion and latchable, crate-style door.
In the following circumstances, we’d recommend these alternatives:
- If you need a bigger dog house, I’d recommend the Floppy Dawg Just Chillin’ Portable Dog House.
- When you intend to keep the dog house outdoors, opt for the Eillo Folding Outdoor Wood Dog House.
- If your dachshund prefers softer spaces, go for the Hollypet Cozy Pet Bed House.
In this article, we’ll explain three things to consider when purchasing a dog house for your dachshund, and we’ll explore four different dog houses to see how they stack up against one another.
Then, we’ll let you know exactly why the DREAMSOULE Wooden Pet House is the best overall choice for dachshunds.
Finally, we’ll discuss three other options to consider in specific scenarios.
Factors to Consider
To ensure that you’re getting the most out of your dog house purchase, explore the following factors before committing to a purchase:
Let’s dive a little deeper into each of these factors so that you can get the best dog house for your dachshund.
Size of Dog House
|Dog House||Size (in Inches and Pounds) L, W, H||Score|
|DREAMSOULE Wooden Pet House||Dimensions: 17 x 22 x 22Entrance: 10 x 11Maximum Weight: 14 pounds||7/10|
|Hollypet Cozy Pet Bed House||Dimensions: 16 x 16 x 15Entrance: 8.5 x 7.1Maximum Weight: 18 pounds||6/10|
|Eillo Folding Outdoor Wood Dog House||Dimensions: 21.7 x 33.5 x 25.2Entrance: 13.4 x 9.5Maximum Weight: 25 pounds||8/10|
|Floppy Dawg Just Chillin’ Portable Dog House||Dimensions: 24 x 23 x 25Entrance: 15 x 10Maximum Weight: 30 pounds||8/10|
Winners: Eillo Folding Outdoor Wood Dog House, Floppy Dawg Just Chillin’ Portable Dog House
Dachshunds are a small-breed dog available in standard and miniature sizes.
Standard dachshunds stand between 8 and 9 inches (20.3 and 22.8 cm) and weigh between 16 and 32 pounds (7.2 and 14.5 kg).
Miniature dachshunds weigh less than 11 pounds (4.9 kg) and stand at a height of 5 to 6 inches (12.7 to 15.2 cm).
With significantly long bodies compared to their height, people often refer to dachshunds as “weiner dogs” due to their hotdog-like appearance.
The body length of a standard dachshund ranges from 21.5 to 25 inches (54.6 to 63.5 cm), with miniature dachshunds’ lengths ranging from 12.5 to 14.5 inches (31.7 to 36.8 cm).
Since dachshunds are on the smaller side, you don’t need a large dog house. Opt for a dog house suitable for small breeds — but check the dimensions.
A dog house that’s too small can make your pooch feel cramped, confined, anxious, and uncomfortable.
How Much Room Should a Dachshund Dog House Have?
A dog house for a standard dachshund should be at least 10 to 11 inches tall, 23.5 to 27 inches in depth, and capable of supporting up to 32 pounds.
Miniature dachshunds need a dog house that’s at least 7 to 8 inches tall, 14.5 to 16.5 inches deep, and capable of supporting up to 11 pounds.
The above recommendations are a general guideline based on the American Kennel Club’s breed standards.
To determine the exact amount of space and support your dachshund needs, measure your dog’s height, length, and weight.
When measuring small dogs like dachshunds for a dog house, add two inches to both the height and length measurements.
This gives you the recommended minimum height and depth, respectively, for a dog house.
For example, a 9-inch tall, 23-inch long, and 20-pound dachshund requires a dog house that’s at least 11 inches in height, 25 inches in depth, and capable of supporting up to 20-pounds.
When going by the aforementioned example, the following dog houses would suit your dachshund:
- Eillo Folding Outdoor Wood Dog House
- Floppy Dawg Just Chillin’ Portable House
Comfort and Durability
|Dog House||Comfort and Features||Score|
|DREAMSOULE Wooden Pet House||MDF Board|
Included pet cushion
Non-toxic paint surface
|Hollypet Cozy Pet Bed House||Polyester|
Zipper cushion included
|Eillo Folding Outdoor Wood Dog House||Wood|
|Floppy Dawg Just Chillin’ Portable Dog House||Nylon|
Included detachable pad
Breathable mesh floor
Winner: DREAMSOULE Wooden Pet House
Comfort and durability are essential when purchasing a dog house for your dachshund.
Dachshunds are susceptible to a number of musculoskeletal diseases that cause muscle pain and joint aches.
Any dog suffering from these or similar conditions needs a safe, comfortable space to rest and take pressure off of their bones and joints.
Because of this, dog owners should opt for a dog house that provides maximum comfort and durability.
Cushions, padding, or additional space to add blankets or mats are ideal. Additionally, ensure the dog house features quality workmanship.
If you intend to keep your furry friend’s dog house outdoors, invest in a strong, insulated dog house.
Dachshunds are small animals, therefore, more susceptible to the elements, especially extreme heat and cold.
|Dog House||Price Range||Score|
|DREAMSOULE Wooden Pet House||$$||8/10|
|Hollypet Cozy Pet Bed House||$||9/10|
|Eillo Folding Outdoor Wood Dog House||$$$||7/10|
|Floppy Dawg Just Chillin’ Portable Dog House||$$||8/10|
Winners: Hollypet Cozy Pet Bed House
Fortunately for dachshund owners, the dog’s small size means fewer materials required for constructing the dog house.
As a result, dog houses for dachshunds tend to cost significantly less than those made for medium or large-breed canines.
With that said, materials play a role in the cost of dog houses, so keep that in mind when searching for a reasonable price.
The most expensive dog houses usually consist of wood. If you need something inexpensive, opt for materials other than wood, such as fabric, nylon, or plastic.
Best Overall: DREAMSOULE Wooden Pet House
The DREAMSOULE Wooden Pet House offers quality, durability, and comfort at a reasonable price point, which is why it tops the list for the best overall dachshund dog house.
This dog house features quality MDF board, providing enough strength to support your friendly canine companion.
Elevated flooring allows optimal air circulation.
For added comfort, it comes equipped with a washable, removable pet cushion. Additionally, it’s sizable enough to add additional padding, such as blankets.
The crate-style door latches and locks. However, if you have a dachshund that likes to freely come and go, you can easily remove the door.
The wooden design of the PETSOULE Wooden Pet House fits in well with any home decor, which is especially important when using this dog house indoors, especially in common areas.
All varnished surfaces are non-toxic.
When not in use, owners can easily disassemble the dog house for quick storage.
The PETSOULE Wooden Pet House fits dachshunds up to 19-inches (48.2 cm) long and 19-inches tall, weighing up to 14 pounds (6.3 kg).
Bottom Line: The PETSOULE Wooden Pet House provides optimal shelter for your dachshund. It’s reasonably priced, easy to assemble, strong, comfortable, and suitable for small standard dachshunds and most miniature dachshunds. Because it’s visually appealing, it’s great for indoor use.
- Easy assembly and disassembly. To assemble the PETSOULE Wooden Pet House, simply snap the pieces together. Assembly requires no tools, screws, or nails. The easy-to-follow user manual gives all the instructions you need, allowing you to set the dog house up in as little as five minutes.
- Traditional dog house style. Its A-frame roof and rectangular prism base give this dog house the classic design often seen in movies.
- Ventilation holes. The roof of the dog house offers ventilation holes, providing additional air circulation to prevent the air inside from becoming stagnant or too hot.
- For small dachshunds. If your dachshund is taller or longer than 19-inches (48.2 cm) or weighs more than 14 pounds (6.3 kg), then you’ll need to opt for a different dog house.
- Not weatherproof. This isn’t an ideal dog house for those looking to keep the product outdoors. It is not weatherproof, and if it comes into contact with water, it may warp.
|Dimensions||11 x 22 x 22|
|Product Weight||21.4 pounds|
|Material||Medium Density Fiberboard|
|Maximum Support Weight||14 pounds|
|Assembly||Tongue-and-groove. No tools required.|
Best Bang For The Buck: Hollypet Cozy Pet Bed House
Ensure ultimate comfort for your dachshund by choosing the Hollypet Cozy Pet Bed House — and pay a fraction of what you’d pay for an ordinary dog house!
Made primarily of polyester, this fabric dog house is plush and snugly.
The interior filling is made with soft and cozy high-elasticity sponge material capable of conforming to your dachshund’s body.
The large entrance allows air to circulate freely inside the dog house. In addition, it comes with a detachable roof.
The included zipper-enclosed cushion and polyester fabric are both surface washable.
Therefore, if your dachshund soils the dog house or if it needs a quick refresh, you can wipe it down with ease.
Manufactured with strong seams and invisible corners, you can ensure that the Hollypet Cozy Bed Pet House is made to last.
The bottom offers slip-resistant padding, preventing it from sliding around on hard floors.
Arguably the best part about this dog house is the price — it costs less than every dog house on this list and significantly less than most dog houses on the market!
It’s an excellent choice for smaller dachshunds, especially miniature dachshunds.
Dogs up to 13-inches (33 cm) long and 12-inches (30.4 cm) fit very well inside this house. It supports weights up to 18 pounds (8.1 cm).
Bottom Line: Dachshunds that prefer soft, upholstered surfaces are sure to love the Hollypet Cozy Bed Pet House.
Its softness and cushioned interior offer a warm, secure place to sleep or relax.
The dog house is best suited for small standard or miniature dachshunds and owners on a budget.
- Comfortable. The Hollypet Cozy Bed Pet House is warm, snugly, and comfortable. It’s an excellent choice for dachshunds suffering from joint aches and pains, or those that prefer soft surfaces for sleeping.
- Multiple styles available. This dog house comes in seven different patterns and colors, making it easy to select one that fits well with your home’s decor.
- Excellent price. You can’t go wrong with this dog house if you’re on a budget — the price is nearly unbeatable!
- Strictly indoor use. Because the dog house consists of fabric, it’s absorbent. As such, it’s not suitable for outdoor use.
- Not sturdy. Polyester isn’t the most durable material, so this isn’t the most sturdy dog house. It’s somewhat flimsy but should do well with dachshunds of a laid-back temperament.
Best For Outdoor Dachshunds: Eillo Folding Outdoor Wood Dog House
Dachshund owners looking for a suitable outdoor dog house should opt for the Eillo Folding Outdoor Wood Dog House.
The dog house features water-resistant wood, a slanted and hinged asphalt roof, and an elevated base.
Each of these features makes it a great choice for outdoor use.
The sloping, openable roof allows for easy water runoff and makes cleaning super easy.
Its elevated base provides maximum airflow and keeps your dog away from the cold ground.
It features a large entrance (plastic door flap sold separately) and a spacious interior, making it a comfortable place for your dachshund to relax and stay safe from the elements.
The Eillo Folding Outdoor Wood Dog House requires no tools to assemble. It takes minutes to lock the dog house into place.
This dog house provides security and shelter for dachshunds up to 30.5 inches (77.4 cm) long and 22.2 inches (56.3 cm) tall and supports canines up to 25 pounds (11.3 kg).
Bottom Line: When keeping a dog house outdoors, you must ensure the dog house can withstand cold, heat, rain, snow, sleet, and wind.
The Eillo Folding Outdoor Wood Dog House fits the bill — it’s strong, durable, and provides enough features to keep your dachshund safe.
- Instant assembly. The design of the dog house allows for instant assembly. It arrives flat, and you simply unfold it like an accordion. From there, it locks into place.
- Insulation kits available. When using a dog house outdoors, it’s imperative that you insulate it. The manufacturers of the Eillo Folding Outdoor Wood Dog House sell insulation kits in varying sizes depending on the dog house you purchase.
- Pricey. At over $100, the Eillo Folding Outdoor Wood Dog House is the priciest product on this list. If you’re on a budget, it’s probably not a good choice.
- Heavy. The house weighs 42 pounds (19 kg), so it’s a little on the heavy side. As such, you may need assistance if you decide to move the dog house. Additionally, it’s not ideal for travel.
Best Portable Dachshund Dog House: Floppy Dawg Just Chillin’ Portable Dog House
If you love traveling with your canine companion, then the Floppy Dawg Just Chillin’ Portable Dog House is the ideal choice for you.
This lightweight, portable dog house is easy to assemble, break down, and transport, making it the best option for those who enjoy camping or traveling with their pooch.
The nylon canopy and nylon mesh base are water-resistant, making the dog house easy to clean and quick to dry.
Its metal frame easily snaps together and keeps the house elevated, offering maximum comfort due to increased airflow.
It comes with a soft pad that lays on top of the breathable mesh flooring.
It’s spacious enough for dachshunds up to 21-inches (53.3 cm) tall, 22-inches (55.8 cm) long, and weighing up to 30 pounds (13.6 kg), making it suitable for most dachshunds.
As an added bonus, the Floppy Dawg Just Chillin’ Portable Dog House features a cute drawing of a dachshund on the front above the entrance.
Bottom Line: Spacious, portable, and comfortable, the Floppy Dawg Just Chillin’ Portable Dog House suits those that love to be on the move.
It’s reasonably priced and easy to clean, making it an all-around excellent choice for dachshund owners.
- Lightweight. The dog house weighs only 9 pounds (4 kg), maximizing portability.
- Spacious. This is the most spacious dog house on this list. It’s capable of accommodating most average-sized dachshunds.
- Comfortable. Due to its nylon construction, the dog house provides the perfect amount of shade in the summer and protection from light wind.
- Not aesthetically pleasing. Because it’s available in only one color, it’s not easy to match this dog house to your home’s design.
- Not suitable for outdoor winter use. If you live in a cold climate or intend to use a dog house in the winter, this isn’t a good choice. It’s not suitable for regular outdoor use, especially during the cold months. It’s only designed for outdoor use during hot summers to provide shade — even then, you shouldn’t leave your dachshund in this house for extended periods in the heat.
Dachshunds make excellent companions — they’re affectionate, friendly, and enthusiastic — so it makes sense to want to give your pet the best.
When choosing a dog house, opt for one that’s spacious, comfortable, and affordable.
The DREAMSOULE Wooden Pet House ticks all of the boxes that make up a great dog house. Check it out on Amazon now.